Friday, December 23, 2005

Curiosity and Her Keeper

"Curiosity and Her Keeper" etched glass drawing. 10" x 38"
by Cynthia Oliver, 2005

I decided to do some pieces I could submit to the Annual Hogle Zoo Art Exhibit with thoughts toward some etched glass drawings. I visited the zoo to do some sketches and gather images of specific animals in hopes of capturing a moment or two worth depicting. What I found when I arrived, with the temperature being a mere 15 degrees, was a zoo empty of visitors. Most all the animals were indoors - unavailable to me. There were no elephants swimming in their pool and the great apes were behind glass and impossible to take photos of. A baby orangutan, seven months of age is on display for an hour a day with her human caretakers (nursery nannies), and although I spent an hour watching her delightful antics and explorations - she never sat still long enough for me to capture her sweetness on paper or film. There are no more polar bears at this zoo, regardless of the perfect winter weather, and the lions and tigers have been moved to a quiet and private spot while the Cat House is under renovation.
Undaunted by the absence of some of the animals I was hoping to observe, I knew where to find the giraffes, and their viewing area is available to the public where we all could be warm. I was there with friends, and we watched them for quite a while as their keeper was cleaning out the enclosures. One of the giraffes watched her keepers' every move and often would touch the top of his head with her soft mobile lips, or nibble at the handle of the broom as he cleaned the floor. In response, he would occasionally reach up a hand to her without even looking. A small gesture, a little touch in return with the tips of his fingers. The giraffe and her keeper doing their friendly dance, comfortable with each other in their daily routine.
This is the story I wanted to tell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home