Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Losing Things.

So many things escape me. Like little moments of clarity that light up my thinking, to only slip away in the next breath. The realization that I can choose to behave or respond in whatever way I want. That my path is not destiny or fate, but manifest in the decisions I make. Of course there are factors beyond my control. Everything about my life is about not having control of any of it, except for what I do in the face of it all, what I decide to do with what comes my way. I do get to choose. I can choose to act, not act, lie, cheat or steal...to tell the truth or act with morality. But I seem to be losing myself. Losing the continuity of the distinctive weave of who I am...the predictability of my actions or choices.

I worry. It seems I can't follow a thread of thought, hang on to it, or come back to it later because it's simply too fugitive. Dementia is my fear. A slow loss of my faculties, a loss so slow that it goes unrecognized by most. Today, I had one of those slips where I said something clearly so off track that the man I spoke the words to just looked at me trying to decide where I was going with this nonsense coming out of my mouth. What scared me is that I knew what I had said made no sense, not because I recognized my mistake, but because his expression told me he was confused. I wasn't sure what part was nonsensical because I couldn't recall what it was I had said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home