Thursday, January 12, 2006

Outside, Looking In

I belong to the Glass Artists Guild of Utah. We were casting the faces of the entire guild for the purposes of having a likeness of each member. A cast glass likeness of each, that would be grouped together en masse as a sculptural representation of the whole. I like the concept. A series as a body of work, a collaboration of individuals that represents the group. But I didn't participate in the casting party. I didn't sign up, and I didn't show up. My lack of participation was as a result of an unwillingness to leave my house. It's a form of intertia, a mild but persistent depression. A depression that feels like I'm often on the outside, looking in.

I would like to do the project and add my face, cast in glass, to the others. In hindsight, I realize that my lack of focus, and my lack of motivation to get myself to the casting party has possibly let the membership of the Glass Guild down. Maybe I've left a hole where they would like to see a representation of me. Perhaps my lack of participation looks like an act of arrogance or indifference. It isn't either of those things, but more an act of isolationism. It's easier for me that way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home